Questions to consider when seeing a retina specialist about ILUVIEN


A retina specialist is a medical doctor who specializes in treating diseases of the eye (ophthalmologist) and has received special training about the retina. A retina specialist is an expert in a wide range of eye conditions including diabetic macular edema (DME). Retina specialists work in eye clinics and hospitals.

In addition to a full eye exam, your ophthalmologist or retina specialist will need to ask you several questions to properly diagnose DME:

  1. Do you have diabetes?
  2. How long have you been diabetic?
  3. Have you ever been told that your blood sugar level was too high?
  4. Are you experiencing blurred vision? You can check your vision at home with a free Amsler Grid.
  5. Have you ever had eye surgery?
  6. Do you have cataracts or any other eye condition?
  7. Are you being treated for any eye condition now? In the past?
  8. Do you have glaucoma?
  9. Have you been treated with a corticosteroid injected into the eye before?

Is ILUVIEN right for me?

ILUVIEN ® (fluocinolone acetonide intravitreal implant) 0.19 mg is used to treat DME in patients who have been previously treated with a course of corticosteroids and did not have a significant increase in eye pressure. ILUVIEN should not be used if you have glaucoma, an infection in or around the eye, or are allergic to any of the ingredients of ILUVIEN.

Studies have shown that ILUVIEN can improve vision in patients who have been previously treated for diabetic macular edema (DME). Talk to your retina specialist to see if ILUVIEN is a viable treatment for you.

Download a Free Patient Guide to learn more about how ILUVIEN can help treat DME.

NOTE: You will need Adobe Reader® to download this file.