Questions to consider when seeing a retina specialist about ILUVIEN
A retina specialist is a medical doctor who specializes in treating diseases of the eye (ophthalmologist) and has received special training about the retina. A retina specialist is an expert in a wide range of eye conditions including diabetic macular edema (DME). Retina specialists work in eye clinics and hospitals.
In addition to a full eye exam, your ophthalmologist or retina specialist will need to ask you several questions to properly diagnose DME:
Additionally, here are some questions you may want to take to your doctor:
- I answered Yes to either or both questions on the free, at-home Amsler test. What are my options for improving my vision?
- I have had diabetes for ___ year(s). Will this affect the treatment types available to me?
- I have high blood sugar. Will that increase the side effects of ILUVIEN?
- I have had eye surgery before. How will this affect my treatment options?
- How can I reduce the number of eye injections I currently receive?
- What are the long term benefits of fewer eye injections?
- What is the procedure like for ILUVIEN?
- Can I still get ILUVIEN even though I have glaucoma, cataracts, or another eye condition?
- What type of payment or insurance coverage is available?
- What is the quality of life with DME? How does it progress?
- Can DME be reversed?
- Are there steps I can take to help slow the progression of DME?
- How does my diabetes affect DME?
Is ILUVIEN right for me?
ILUVIEN ® (fluocinolone acetonide intravitreal implant) 0.19 mg is used to treat DME in patients who have been previously treated with a course of corticosteroids and did not have a significant increase in eye pressure. ILUVIEN should not be used if you have glaucoma, an infection in or around the eye, or are allergic to any of the ingredients of ILUVIEN.
Studies have shown that ILUVIEN can improve vision in patients who have been previously treated for diabetic macular edema (DME). Talk to your retina specialist to see if ILUVIEN is a viable treatment for you.
Download a Free Patient Guide to learn more about how ILUVIEN can help treat DME.
NOTE: You will need Adobe Reader® to download this file.